Trials of Osiris Reveal (Destiny)

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Wednesday, April 29, 2015, 18:09 (3256 days ago) @ Claude Errera
edited by General Vagueness, Wednesday, April 29, 2015, 18:30

I'm pretty disappointed. All this fanfare and it's just slayer/deathmatch that ends a round when everyone on a team dies, with the presumably rare exception of a capture point if the game goes long enough. There are other unique things about it, but other than the limited heavy ammo and revives instead of respawns (which have shown up in other gametypes), they don't affect the gameplay, unless you count trying to put more tension and weight into it through external risks and rewards.

Someone was telling me this is to placate people who want a more competitive experience, but on top of the randomness the game normally has they're prioritizing connection over skill and using Iron Banner-style damage (taking attack rating and player level into account), so I don't think it offers much to people who want that type of game. I would think Inferno would/does cover that better than this, and an Inferno-style limited point setup along with these elements and the regular damage model would probably do even better. Even then, though, I don't think anything is going to do much to bring in or keep in the kind of players into a "pro" or "hardcore" experience unless they add the ability to have proper tournaments and cut down the randomness a lot.
I'd really like to hear from someone who is into that, though, and what they think.

Anyway, since I and a lot of others want it, and they're seemingly not doing much in the way of things to appeal to tournament-ish/pro-ish players, I don't see why they don't add more objective gametypes (like control and salvage). For that matter, I don't see why they don't do both.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread