Trials of Osiris Reveal (Destiny)

by Earendil, Wednesday, April 29, 2015, 19:30 (3277 days ago) @ General Vagueness

Someone was telling me this is to placate people who want a more competitive experience, but on top of the randomness the game normally has they're prioritizing connection over skill and using Iron Banner-style damage (taking attack rating and player level into account), so I don't think it offers much to people who want that type of game.

When they said it would be more competitive, you could interpret it one of two ways:
1. A match will always push the limits of your skill
2. If you are skilled, it will be obvious.

You took it as the first, I took it as the second, and I think the intent is aimed at the second. Let me explain.
Case #1 is achieved by having perfect matching making based on skill level. If they matched games based on skill, and the matching system were perfect, EVERYONE would win 50% of the time. And half the time, when you lost, it would of course be due to lag :)
This system would make every game as hard as possible while still making the game winnable.

Do achieve #2, you need to do the opposite of #1. If you match based on connection, you'll get no lag, and if you're in the top 10% of teams, you should be able to beat 9 out of 10 teams that you face. Thus if you are skilled, you will actually win more. Yes, you'll end up with games where you walk all over the other team, and the other team walks all over you. But this opens competitive mode up in a way that allows you to experience the spectrum of Destiny players. Maybe you think you're only "okay", and walk into this unable to lose. Maybe you think you're hot shit and can't win a single game.

I personally like the idea as an optional game type. It should produce very different games than what we're used to. At the same time, the team play will be CRUCIAL and will make up for a fair bit of of individual skill.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread