A dialogue.

by kapowaz, Tuesday, May 07, 2013, 02:24 (4008 days ago) @ GrimBrother One

We know it's an FPS, but we don't know exactly what kind of weapons we'll get to use (or, in the case of the Warlock, if we'll even need to use weapons). We know it features stats, but we don't know how they affect gameplay. We know it's ‘shared-world’ but we don't know how it'll work when you want to play it solo.

The game remains an inscrutable mass of unanswered questions, which despite much speculation and questioning remain unaddressed. What I'm hoping for from E3 (and thereafter) more than anything else is a meaningful dialogue with the player community. Bungie's trademark secrecy and enigma won't cut it if they're intending to create something with the longevity, scale and community participation of a high-end MMO like World of Warcraft. They're going to have to engage with the community as adults (rather than through the obtuse mailsack).

If you want a good example of what I'm talking about, look no further than Ghostcrawler's ‘dev watercooler’ blog posts. Or the numerous ‘blue posts’ on the WoW forums where he and other members of his team discuss gameplay mechanics and the design thinking behind them.

So yeah, what I'm hoping for is a dialogue. After that, everything else is negotiable.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread