Is VR The future? Eyes & Resolution. (Gaming)

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Monday, August 31, 2015, 17:06 (3153 days ago) @ Cody Miller

As for the tech itself, I felt it was pretty good except for two things. First, none of the units had a high enough resolution. The screen door effect is real, and it's a significant detraction from the experience. Each eye was 1080p (~2K), so realistically you're looking at 4K per eye to eliminate this. I don't know many systems that can render two 4K images at 60fps right now. Second, and this is minor, but none of the units completely filled my field of vision. I always had the black from the edges in my periphery, so the field of view was too narrow, and in a way felt like tunnel vision.

The eye doesn't see in full resolution across its whole field of vision, only what you're looking directly at, anything in the periphery is in pretty low resolution. The computer scientist in me (who wants to optimize everything) wonders if VR makers could take advantage of that somehow. The initial problem I see is that the eye moves VERY quickly, and I doubt hardware could track & increase the resolution fast enough that you wouldn't experience "resolution pop-in". The other way about this is to train the person to move their head instead of their eyes, but doing so could detract from the immersion. We just need a matrix style jack in the back of our heads.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread