Will be on Metal Gear Solid Phantom Pain (Gaming)

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Tuesday, September 01, 2015, 02:16 (3171 days ago) @ TheeChaos

Are any of you getting the game?

I loved the original Metal Gear Solid. MGS2 lost me in the second half and I lost track of the franchise. I appreciated what it was trying to do but I guess it wasn't a path I wanted to follow.

I tried Ground Zeroes the other night since it was free. I have to say it probably didn't start me off on a good foot due to a weird sound bug. Even in the menu, most of the audio had a harsh, static-like buzz wrapped around it. Tried rebooting but it didn't help. I thought I'd try the game anyways and if I enjoyed it, I'd try deleting it and reinstalling it afterwards.

The game definitely looked stunning but after reading all the back story, the loading screens, and the long opening, I truly had no idea what was happening or how it might have related to the games I played. But that's not necessarily the game's fault. If I'm skipping two entries in the series then I probably shouldn't know what was happening. :) I'm so far out of the loop I was really confused when I didn't hear David Hayter's voice coming out of Snake's mouth and had to go google that bit of news!

Anyway, it seems like MGS and I will still be walking different paths for the forseeable future. I'm sure I'll try it again someday, though. :)

On the note of playing different games and taking a break from Destiny, I borrowed Arkham Knight from my brother and have utterly consumed it. At first I was a little thrown off by Batman's new heavy armor and the batmobile-tank. Now I think it's one of the funnest games I've played in the last five years and totally see why this new generation of consoles could be great!

It helps that becoming Batman is my ultimate career goal and I'm going to love any game that let's me glide through cities and jump a vehicle across highway overpasses Nolan-style. The fact that it had an amazing, emotional story and great gameplay was a bonus. It had been a while since I was actually worried about a character in a game!

The most powerful thing I took away from it was just how effective it used the medium to affect the player. I've never seen a game load characters and environments out-of-sight in such a way to scare the crap out of me and pull me into the story.

Going to have to buy the Arkham Origins spinoff I skipped just to fulfill some needs and then replay Rocksteady's trilogy again. So impressed!

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread