Xbone and ownership

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, June 10, 2013, 21:46 (3975 days ago) @ Oholiab

Seeing a lot of chatter on here about ownership, used games, and Microsoft. Since I missed the Xbox conference - and my time is limited - can someone give me a quick synopsis? I buy a lot of used games, so all the talk has me concerned... Thanks!

Here's the deal:

You can buy and sell used games from specific participating retailers, and that is only if the publisher does not prohibit used sales. A publisher can decide to disallow used games, in which case you can't do it anywhere.

If you want to sell to or give a game to a friend, they have to be on your friends list for 30 days, and the transfer is final. They can't then sell or give it to someone else.

You cannot rent games anymore either.

But let's be honest, who here buys games from their friends? It's rare. The vast majority of used game sales are either at retail stores or ebay. Well, ebay is out of the question now, since you'd have to friend the person then undergo the 30 day waiting period. We're buying a game, not a goddamn gun.

So the only realistic scenario is buying from a participating retailer. I have no idea what the terms of participation are, but they have to be something.

Then at Sony's presentation, they said in completely clear terms that you can do whatever you want with your game disc. Lend it, sell it, rent it, etc, and that the PS4 does not need to be connected or check in every 24 hrs to function.

Cue standing ovation and the nail in the coffin. It's clear people care about this stuff.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread