As someone who championed DICE doing Battlefront years ago.. (Gaming)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Thursday, October 08, 2015, 20:38 (3132 days ago) @ TheeChaos

You can download it on PS or Xbox for free. PS4 version is 7.4 Gigs, but you can start it early from the PS store!

I am personally excited for this, as a huge star wars fan. I dont think the gameplay will be top notch, but I do think that it will be fun to play, based on it being a new star wars game.

I find it rather "meh".
It's more or less what gameplay made it look like, for better or worse. The downside is that what I've played so far is pretty bland.

I'm not quite Rank 5, but played Survival, Drop Zone, and Walker Assault. Of the three, WA is by far the best, but even that feels kind of like Rush Lite. Infantry combat is 90% of the game so far, which is kind of a bummer, because DICE has always specialized in combining Infantry with vehicles, and right now vehicles exist just to get blown up.

Movement is floaty, which is kind of nice, but you end up bouncing off of terrain that you should be able to get over.

I try not to compare it to Battlefield, but the truth is that I would have loved a reskinned Battlefield, with destructible environments and large scale battles that revolve around vehicle movement and map control.
So far it's just "push up, push button, hold enemy at their spawn", with little variation. Vehicles are either slow and pointless (unless you're firing the AT-AT), or extremely difficult to control (Xwing). Either way, they get dropped in seconds, and that sucks...

When the game gets going, though, there are indeed "moments" that live up to what I wanted, but they aren't constant, and that's a bummer.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread