Hot Takes Thread (Destiny)

by Robot Chickens, Tuesday, August 23, 2022, 09:21 (612 days ago)

Figured I'd post this here for us to comment

Destiny Y9: LFG and Yelp Reviews Ingame

by Robot Chickens, Tuesday, August 23, 2022, 09:22 (612 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

- No text -

Season the Pirate: Pimps at Sea Evolved

by Robot Chickens, Tuesday, August 23, 2022, 09:26 (612 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

- No text -

King's Fall 2: Fall Harder

by Robot Chickens, Tuesday, August 23, 2022, 09:31 (612 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

- No text -

Looks rad.

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, August 23, 2022, 09:32 (612 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

Grappling hook! Cool neon aesthetic! New enemy type! In-game loadouts!

It all looks super cool.

agreed

by Robot Chickens, Tuesday, August 23, 2022, 09:42 (612 days ago) @ cheapLEY

- No text -

Sunsetting gets Sunset

by Robot Chickens, Tuesday, August 23, 2022, 09:36 (612 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

- No text -

Let's play a game...

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Tuesday, August 23, 2022, 09:42 (612 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

With only this image as a vague hint, what am I thinking? Note, it's not one to one, and there would need to be some extrapolation, but it's a fair summery of the sea of words and thoughts and feelings and concerns that swirl as a maelstrom around me.

[image]

And hey! If you don't get it... uh... I have some typing to do.

(Or, if you want real hot takes, come chatter at me when I get on Destiny later.)

Attack of the Killer Monster Snow Goons

by Robot Chickens, Tuesday, August 23, 2022, 09:56 (612 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

- No text -

Ok. Lightfall Preview Hot-Take Time.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Tuesday, August 23, 2022, 11:50 (612 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

With only this image as a vague hint, what am I thinking? Note, it's not one to one, and there would need to be some extrapolation, but it's a fair summery of the sea of words and thoughts and feelings and concerns that swirl as a maelstrom around me.

[image]

And hey! If you don't get it... uh... I have some typing to do.

(Or, if you want real hot takes, come chatter at me when I get on Destiny later.)

Attack of the Killer Monster Snow Goons (Destiny) - Robot Chickens

How interesting. As of posting, the only person not chicken enough to risk a guess is a Robot Chicken. You tell me how that works, I don't know.

Anywho, I've decided on Second Thought, that I do have a hot take (it just took longer to make). It continues from the quote above, to the quote right here below.

I’m convinced that licensing would sell out the soul of Calvin and Hobbes. The world of a comic strip is much more fragile than most people realize. Once you’ve given up its integrity, that’s it. I want to make sure that never happens.” ... "we ought to be asking, 'What justifies it?'"
- Bill Watterson

Now do you see what Calvin sees? It's what I see too. I watched Destiny "Jump the Shark" today.

I'm not even sure how to describe the emotion. Surreal uncanniness? Eh... but as I sat there with my occasional glances to the screen, I felt my heart... sink. My excitement fade. For a moment a lost all interest in all tasks, and just stopped to look at the screen, arms crossed and clenched close.

And before my eyes, in all its scream of life, and OheyLookAtAllTHisCOOLStuffBuyNow... I was watching the game I love, die.

Lightfall, indeed.

And while I say "die", it is not in the whole of the word, which I hope among the juxtaposition would be quite obvious. "Die" is simply the best description I can find at the moment. Can you see it? I know what it looks like if you bring no thoughts too it. Just glaze over the neon to the end of the world... well, then again, maybe they are on to something. ...Anyway, don't presume me to say that what we saw is awful. It's not. At Bungies current pace, I have no doubt the content will be amazing, and fun, and oh so cool, because it's a Bungie Game. At all else, fun is the goal. That's it. Quite simple.

It is still a Bungie game. It will still be fun. It will present all sorts of super cool... blah blah blah. But I watched Bungie lose or, maybe drop it's... HEH, identity, and I can't say I'm too surprised. Everything is everything Now, and so it's all a huge nothing. Same shit with different words.

For you to truly understand, you need to be witness (heh) at the whole of the Gaming Sphere. NO! Not even that... Modern Entertainment in general. Look at Movies and TV, with cross over this, and BIG EVENT that. Look at the Microtransactions in Halo: Master Chief Collection. Look at any sort of Microtransaction based phone game and their visual Slot Machine Antics. Look How EVERYONE is going Cyberpunk, the new WWII. I blame Millennials... actually no wait, that actually checks out here. 80's right? Look too, and actually this may be a fantastic overall metaphor... Look what happened to Assassins Creed. It went from Historical Accuracy to ... riding unicorns and fighting in the Greek underworld. Or something like that. And yeah, I hear it's been a blast to play, but... man. What

So basically what I mentioned in my thoughts on the Arc 3.0 Titan portion I put here with more bluntness: WHY IS THERE NO DISCIPLINE IN ANYTHING ANYMORE!!! With all our power, we've reduced ourselves to mere toddlers, oohing and ah-hing at every damnable flashing thing.

A giant, shiny, "gray" but rainbow ooze.

It's a beautiful nightmare "we have" collectively constricted, I'll give ya that much though.

I'm sure that Destiny: Hello There Fellow Kids...er, I mean, Destiny: Lightfall will be Great, should that word or any words at all have any meaning at all as we all coalesce into a galaxy of noise, all proclaiming a difference, while being all so the same. All. All. All. And nothing.

As for the rest, well it took them a (over?) a year but FINALLY we're getting Builds in-game, so that's cool. Kind of weary about their whole "person rank system" they are implementing, but I figure it's there to try and make the LFG experience not a total slot machine, so... we'll see. Nothing about Light System. Nothing about Collections a.k.a what should be the Real Vault. ... so my rants about those still seem to be ever present.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Whatever. I've rambled about this enough.

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, August 23, 2022, 12:42 (612 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

I like it.

Let’s be real. The story of Destiny has always been dumb, cliched, head firmly up it’s own ass horseshit. I don’t mean that negatively, truly. It’s managed to be interesting and compelling, but it’s always been a story of pure contrivance to move on to the next thing. We killed Oryx, and I’m supposed to be scared of that big-eyed anime dipshit? Give me a break.

I’m totally here for Destiny just leaning into the ridiculous. Its always been stupid and ridiculous, I’m glad they’re finally dropping the pretense. Give me those crossovers, babbeeeeey.

by squidnh3, Tuesday, August 23, 2022, 13:08 (612 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I like it.

Let’s be real. The story of Destiny has always been dumb, cliched, head firmly up it’s own ass horseshit. I don’t mean that negatively, truly. It’s managed to be interesting and compelling, but it’s always been a story of pure contrivance to move on to the next thing. We killed Oryx, and I’m supposed to be scared of that big-eyed anime dipshit? Give me a break.

I’m totally here for Destiny just leaning into the ridiculous. Its always been stupid and ridiculous, I’m glad they’re finally dropping the pretense. Give me those crossovers, babbeeeeey.

I don't mind it either. Given how often we repeat Destiny activities, silliness is more palatable than drama (or, given enough repetition, all drama becomes silly).

It seems like they are leaving the more serious drama for the lore books and text, which is fine by me, that's my preferred medium for story anyway.

Get ready for 90% Strand in PvP

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Tuesday, August 23, 2022, 09:56 (612 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

- No text -

YAR HAR FIDDLE DEE-DEE!

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Tuesday, August 23, 2022, 10:14 (612 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

BEING A PIRATE IS ALRIGHT TO BE!
DO WHAT YOU WANT 'CAUSE A PIRATE IS FREE!
YOU ARE A PIRATE!

As always, I'm good about compartmentalizing all of the reveals in the showcase to avoid over-hyping (or giving them way too much credit at once for features we won't see this year).

And yet, I will never not get hyped for pirate content, so for the season alone, I'm stoked. To plunder!

Hot Takes Thread

by bluerunner @, Music City, Tuesday, August 23, 2022, 11:09 (612 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

I've only caught small bits...
So the new location is that planet from Thor Ragnarok?

Anyway, will have to wait on someone to do an insane writeup of this.

>_>

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Tuesday, August 23, 2022, 11:16 (612 days ago) @ bluerunner

- No text -

Hot Takes Thread

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, August 23, 2022, 13:06 (612 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

Hot take:

Still free to play so it's shit, despite all the excellent talented work that goes into it.

You asked for it…

Hot Takes Thread

by Robot Chickens, Tuesday, August 23, 2022, 13:13 (612 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Hot take:

Still free to play so ...

Is it?

Hot Takes Thread

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, August 23, 2022, 13:14 (612 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

Hot take:

Is it?

Oh? Lightfall is 40 bucks and comes with everything, and there's no season pass or whatever bullshit?

Checks internet…

Nope. Still gotta buy the annual passes.

Hot Takes Thread

by Robot Chickens, Tuesday, August 23, 2022, 15:21 (612 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Hot take:

Is it?

Oh? Lightfall is 40 bucks and comes with everything, and there's no season pass or whatever bullshit?

Checks internet…

I think that’s my point. Nothing is really free, the question is whether you consider it worth it. I do, but I’ve never thought it was free.

Hot Takes Thread

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Wednesday, August 24, 2022, 07:14 (611 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Hot take:

Is it?

Checks internet…

Considering they now give quarterly updates to the story with story missions / other new activities, it's totally worth it to me.

Seen another way

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Wednesday, August 24, 2022, 14:36 (611 days ago) @ kidtsunami

Hot take:

Is it?

Checks internet…

Considering they now give quarterly updates to the story with story missions / other new activities, it's totally worth it to me.

I pay $100 bucks and it comes with everything

Seen another way

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, August 24, 2022, 15:01 (611 days ago) @ kidtsunami

That’s how I view it. $100 a year is pretty damn cheap for the enjoyment I get from Destiny. I would probably bitch about it, but they could honestly probably double that and I’d still do it. It is worth noting you got the same thing for $80 last year, so we might already be on the road towards that happening.

Yeah, technically the game is free to play. You can visit every Destination, do Strikes, Gambit, and Crucible. But tons of stuff is locked. You can go to the Throne World for free, but the upgrades with Fynch are locked behind campaign progress you wouldn’t be able to do. I think Wellspring is locked. Calling Destiny free to play seems like a generous interpretation, even if it’s technically true.

I don’t particularly care either way. I can’t see myself enjoying only playing the free stuff in Destiny, but that doesn’t make the option existing a bad one.

Honestly, Cody, I’m really struggling to see your point on this one. We can talk about the way the game is presented and designed and engaged with, and we’d agree on a lot of its problems, I’m sure, but Destiny having a technically free to play moniker doesn’t really have a hand in that, I don’t think.

Seen another way

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, August 24, 2022, 17:49 (611 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Honestly, Cody, I’m really struggling to see your point on this one. We can talk about the way the game is presented and designed and engaged with, and we’d agree on a lot of its problems, I’m sure, but Destiny having a technically free to play moniker doesn’t really have a hand in that, I don’t think.

Free to play necessarily means negative compromises to the game in order to entice people to pay and not actually play for free. Some game more than others, but it's always something.

Seen another way

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, August 24, 2022, 17:47 (611 days ago) @ kidtsunami
edited by Cody Miller, Wednesday, August 24, 2022, 17:50

I pay $100 bucks and it comes with everything

Not exactly the same. The game is designed around enticing the people who don't pay, to pay. Wouldn't be the same game if it cost 100 for everyone and that was the only option, since such incentives would no longer need to be present.

You could say the same thing for demos...

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Thursday, August 25, 2022, 08:45 (610 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

Hey Robot…

by Oholiab @, Tuesday, August 23, 2022, 14:27 (612 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

Thanks for posting the graphics you made back in July!

It’s been so long since I logged on that the thread locked.

Junior and I are still here, but not that he’s working full time and taking classes, his time on D2 is limited. Any Xbox time he gets is spent with his brother pirating the high seas…

My game time has been more limited than usual, and I’ve been playing Halo Infinite most.

Hey Robot…

by Robot Chickens, Tuesday, August 23, 2022, 15:07 (612 days ago) @ Oholiab

I’ve missed your clan. I’ve only recently started playing heavily again after a fairly long break. It’s good to hear junior is keeping busy. Running your family through Crota is a destiny highlight for me.

Thank you Bungie..

by bluerunner @, Music City, Tuesday, August 23, 2022, 21:26 (612 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

...for reminding me how much I don't like my guardian's face. Took me a minute too to realize who that guy was.

I don't like the neon cyberpunk city aesthetic in d2 at all

by Spec ops Grunt @, Broklahoma, Wednesday, August 24, 2022, 15:05 (611 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

- No text -

I kind of love it, reminds me of my fave parts of titan

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Thursday, August 25, 2022, 10:46 (610 days ago) @ Spec ops Grunt

- No text -

^this: Titan was horribly underutilized.

by Robot Chickens, Thursday, August 25, 2022, 12:56 (610 days ago) @ kidtsunami

- No text -

I think this is also a factor in my disappointment.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Thursday, August 25, 2022, 14:45 (610 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

I have mentioned in the past how Titan is, by far (and still is might I add) my Favorite Destiny Environment within all of Destiny. Add on top how... EXCITED I was seeing the "temporal" rifts on mars. Like... OMG, it's SO COOL! Nothing new, but I would have loved to seen this leaned into more.

Here is what I said about this VERY subject just a few months ago...

Speaking of MARS, I want to tangent real quick. I'm SO HYPED! I am... SO SO EXCITED about the... I'm going to call it "the reveal" of telling stories about the past visually. The "temporal instabilities", a "window into the golden age." Bungie has brought into the game one of my FAVORITE concepts, which I know from originally because of BioShock Infinite, and brought it into Destiny. I'm SO HYPED. For the longest freek'n time, I've been wondering how Bungie was going to pull it off. Yeah, we had a moment with Saint-14, AND THAT WAS COOL!

(...BRING BACK Season of Dawn GUNS YOU COWARDS!...)

But, that was too hero-based a solution. To tell a story of an age, it isn't just about HUGE battles, and glory, and all that dreck. It's simpler stuff, even as little as what we can see in the background, such as a building on fire. Or, say, and I'm making this up, imagine walking through some buildings in ruins, then suddenly walking into what was once a room to eat in. And in the middle of that dilapidation, a "temporal instability" with an apple and a ham and pickle sandwich. Or, whatever. ...

It's all about environmental storytelling, which I've said before, I'm all for. That kind of stuff is my JAM!

Anyway, the creator in me LOVES LOVES LOVES this "temporal instability" solution. It is a marvelous idea. And I await, with bated breath, every instance of this trick. All I want to know is... when do we get to see Titan again. :D !!! :D

Oh, and for those of you in PvP, one side "temporal," one side not? Right? RIGHT!

And by every account this is how things appeared to have been going. We just had a Season ("of the Haunted") that was all about confronting internal strife and pain and conflicts-of and about who you are now against who you were then. And I, WAS SO, IN! Things were aiming for darker and darker shores (which makes sense right?), ultimately culminating to the bigger questions of the Destiny Universe. I wanted to see what Bungie meant by "smells of wet earth".

"Guardians Make Their Own Fate".

Look at this...

[image]

We've hit two of those already, and the theme we see here is what carried over. Beyond Light, Witch Queen, what we see is what we got.

SO check this... we went from this...

[image]

...to this...

[image]

What. The fuck.

HOW DID WE GO from Bleak to this 80's Bubblegum Unicorn Synth-Jazz?!?!

It's SO left field, that EVERYONE at some degree seconded guessed what they saw. I think it is safe to say that ALL of us, for some amount went "Is this Destiny or a new game"?

...and I just.... *sigh*

My Disappointment Is Immeasurable And My Day Is Ruined.

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Friday, August 26, 2022, 14:53 (609 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

I just have no idea what is going on with the story, and I haven't for a couple years.

The big reveal of the witness and the cabal and light vs dark and all that jazz and 80's cyberguardians.

Then they just willy nilly go into pirates and whats-her-face no longer being frozen and Drifter and Mithrax are BFF's and...I'm lost.

Holy Crap, You Weren't Kidding.

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Saturday, August 27, 2022, 07:33 (608 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

I just saw the trailer.

I do not feel the "incoming dread" at all.

For those of you who don't see it, just imagine if they pulled this crap with Reach.

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Saturday, August 27, 2022, 09:48 (608 days ago) @ Morpheus

I just saw the trailer.

For those of you who don't see it, just imagine if they pulled this crap with Reach.

I'm not sure they want us to feel incoming dread...

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Saturday, August 27, 2022, 09:55 (608 days ago) @ Morpheus

I just saw the trailer.

Eh. Not feeling the parity here. Halo was Sci-fi Military, so things were constrained to some elements of realism, even if it was at max "Science but Magic". There was a mild limit to how far things could go thematically, per the rules of the world.

Destiny is full on into magic, even if it is "from space" or time or whatever. Our play spaces can be quite literately anything, which of course is not by accident. And I'll even add that I'm sure the space they have made, which is destructive apparently, so that's cool, will be fun to play in it. No, I think a better parity might be the end of Destiny 1 into the 1st year of Destiny 2. As, I have no doubt Bungie has good intentions in what they have made Lightfall become (and not just because "it was fun to make"), but just like the mentioned transition from one game to another, they changed the rules.

Be it Static Drops or suddenly Bubblegum Rainbows into the end of the world, it's a... surprise either way

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Sunday, August 28, 2022, 07:22 (607 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

[image]

...to this...

[image]

What. The fuck.

Easy, it's a tie-in to this masterpiece now:

[image]

Holy moly - that's suing territory!

by Claude Errera @, Sunday, August 28, 2022, 09:41 (607 days ago) @ ZackDark

I'd never seen that Lightyear poster. I had to google to see if it was real, I thought maybe someone made it for this joke... but nope, it's real.

Holy moly - that's suing territory!

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Sunday, August 28, 2022, 16:28 (607 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Yeah, it instantly came to mind when they revealed the logo

Same

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Monday, August 29, 2022, 06:58 (606 days ago) @ ZackDark

- No text -

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, August 28, 2022, 17:18 (607 days ago) @ ZackDark

[image]

...to this...

[image]

What. The fuck.

[image]

[image]

To Pocket Infinity… AND BEYOND

Hmmmm.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Sunday, August 28, 2022, 19:24 (607 days ago) @ ZackDark

[image]

...to this...

[image]

What. The fuck.

[image]

[image].
[image]

My, what an uncanny similarity. I wonder who was first?

🤣

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Monday, August 29, 2022, 06:59 (606 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

- No text -

Robot's hot takes are the best.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, August 24, 2022, 15:38 (611 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

I don't need to watch anything.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread