A good series ruined (Gaming)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, August 24, 2016, 21:10 (2801 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I'd just like to point out for other DBOers that the game has gotten some really good press and the Ars Technica reviewer even had this to say about the micro transactions allowing you to stock up on Praxis Kits (used to unlock power upgrades):

Praxis Kits, on the other hand, are spread out perfectly in the campaign. The fact that side quests earn you these kits at a nice clip make them all the more succulent to complete—which, in turn, sucks players into a lot of nicely developed mission and plot content that they might otherwise miss if they power-leveled and went straight through the main mission path. Paying for these kits would break one of the things that Eidos Montreal really got right in this adventure.

Eidos Montreal even admitted as much in trying to douse the flames that these microtransactions inspired, with one of the game's community managers taking to Reddit to tell fans that "the game was balanced 100 percent independently of the microtransactions available in the store." Based on my time with the game, I fully believe that assertion—and I wouldn't be shocked if developers and marketers faced off about adding the paid stuff.

It would be a shame if anyone else misses out on a really good game because of something that (supposedly) had zero effect on its development or its final fun / second quotient.

P.S. Cody, it also had a day one patch. :p

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread