My thoughts on this (Destiny)

by Kahzgul, Friday, March 31, 2017, 16:19 (2575 days ago) @ Harmanimus

Your arguments are also anecdotal. And make many assumptions while being severely reductive. You are assuming where money is allocated. How much, when, and how it is allocated. Disregarding alternate income (promotions, varied revenue sources) and that money can simply be shifted.

I think my arguments are grounded in logic, not anecdotes. If the point of sale is pre-launch, the content of the game is not important to making the sale, only the pre-launch advertising is. If the point of sale is post-launch, then the content of the game is very important to making the sale and advertising serves to get the word out about that content.

You are acting like things are set in stone until someone pre-orders a game then things can turn on a dime. I have never seen anything in any major project budgeting that implies that is common.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Nothing is set in stone until the game launches, and even then it can be patched. It seems like maybe you're missing my point that pre-ordering emphasises advertising quality over game quality.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread