One month, 2 Raids per week, no check point yet. (Destiny)

by Kahzgul, Monday, October 16, 2017, 16:52 (2396 days ago) @ DEEP_NNN

I hope you are incorrect about power levels. Otherwise, what is the point of attaining 300+5?

There is no point. Okay, minor points: Prestige modes are for power 300. Also there's a quest after you beat the raid, if you were already on the quest step that was "beat the raid," that is power 300 recommended. That's it as far as I've seen in the entire game. 270+ can do pretty much everything.

My testing seems to have revealed you are incorrect. I just tested identical snipers at 280 and 290 on a Standard boss of the Castleum. The 280 scored consistently lower hit points than the 290. The only explanation outside of errors that I can think of, is that power levels continue to improve DPS as they rise. At least in the Raid.

Huh, that's really interesting. I had no idea that overleveling improved damage at all in this game, and honestly was under the impression that it didn't. Both shots were the same sniper rifle on the same boss at the same range and with the same perks and buffs active?

I'm working on piecing together a vid. I want to include the same sniper at 290+5 perk but haven't capped it yet.

That would be good info to have. Are you certain you were inside the max damage range falloff with both shots?

You are probably at 305 over every piece of gear by now?

I am, but that's immaterial. The first time I cleared the baths, dogs, and gauntlet of the raid I was 274 and the average light in my raid was probably right around 275. I was 290 by the time I cleared the final boss, but I didn't think my gear came into play at all - our difficulty in every fight was always figuring out the mechanics rather than simply not having the dps. We did raid with a friend who was only 260 at the time and he had some problems killing the orange bar guys solo, but he was still able to do it, even if it got a little hairy for him.

One thing: Snipers kind of stink for this raid. They don't deal enough damage, nor do they deal it quickly enough for most of the encounters. Shotguns or fusion rifles for baths, swords or rockets for dogs, rockets for gauntlet would be my preferred power weapons. Castelleum should be fine with anything, but snipers might not be ideal since you're taking so many hits which would throw your aim off. IMO snipers are not in a good place in D2.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread