A few thoughts (Gaming)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, October 19, 2017, 06:34 (2393 days ago) @ Kermit

Unfortunately, EA has been on a hyper conservative swing since roughly 2008-2009. EA back then was taking risks on exciting new IP left right and center, and it almost sunk the company. No matter what gamers *say* they want, it turns out we spend large amounts of collective money on big, safe, blockbusters. In a bit of an ironic twist, that now means “Destiny-like” (I say ironic because I think even Bungie themselves only have a partial grasp on what makes this sort of game work, and they’ve put way more time and thought into it than any studio jumping in now).

Another wrinkle that comes to mind is Respawn, and their upcoming action/adventure Star Wars game. Now, Visceral is an extremely talented studio, and Amy H’s track record speaks for itself (personally, I think Uncharted 1-3 are some of the most overrated games in memory, but I’m clearly an outlier)... but Respawn are coming off the release of one of the greatest FPS/Action campaigns ever made. This is pure conjecture, but it seems totally possible to me that EA looked at the two games in development, looked at test feedback, and decided that there wasn’t space or need for both games to exist. Maybe Respawn’s game is looking that much better. Or maybe development is just running that much smoother.

Sad news either way, but hopefully enough of the game can be salvaged to lead to something cool.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread