A few thoughts (Gaming)

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, October 19, 2017, 10:51 (2393 days ago) @ marmot 1333

I still maintain that it was a better game than the mess that was Mass Effect 3.

I disagree with this so much.

FWIW, I'm not really taking a dig at Mass Effect 3. I enjoyed that game for what it was, too.

To me, Mass Effect 3 seemed rushed and half-baked. The overall story of that game was sort of a mess and really felt like it was missing parts (with some of those parts being locked behind Day One DLC, no less). It's been long enough now that I don't have any specific examples, but I was never impressed by the writing or story (even the smaller character missions) in that game. The War Assets system (whatever it was called) was bad. It was mediocre followup to Mass Effect 2 in just about every way, as far as I'm concerned.

Mass Effect Andromeda has its own issues, but I like most, if not all, of the character stories, even if the main story wasn't very good (seriously, why did there have to be some big bad--dealing the the struggles of trying to colonize a new galaxy seems like it would have been enough, and is honestly a much more interesting premise to me). Even though a lot of the actual stuff you do is rote gamey stuff, I feel like it delivered on the planet exploration thing better than any Mass Effect game yet.

I think Andromeda was a great beginning step for the continuation of the franchise, and I'm disappointed that its dead now.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread