A few thoughts (Gaming)

by marmot 1333 @, Thursday, October 19, 2017, 14:22 (2393 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I see where you're coming from. I think we're judging the games on different metrics or merits, but I wanted to give you insight into my thoughts.

Mass Effect 3 excelled at player control. I am sure people will laugh at this, but a player could develop a mastery of the timing and idiosyncrasies in the controls. (I would often joke that A/space was used for 12 different actions depending on the context.)

I liked the way the guns handled, particularly the snipers. I LOVED the biotic systems.

I loved the worlds, the environments, the art style, and the lighting.

I thought the farewell scenes to long-standing characters were emotionally powerful. I liked the supporting characters.

I thought the multiplayer was superb. I really liked fighting all the different enemies.

Contrasted to ME:A, I am not a fan of the art style. I don't like the controls, I don't like the weapons. I actively disliked 4/6 of the crew members. Most of the supporting characters that I can remember, I don't like. The story is just as bad as ME3 to me, if not worse. Familiar trope: Enemies are made out of US but no one noticed before we got here!!!

I played the MP a decent amount; it was rough at launch and got slightly better, but still seemed very shallow. The loot game grind was much worse. The enemies were not as fun to kill. The crafting system was garbage; it was too much of a grind, although I have yet to find a game that handles crafting well. It is a hard problem to strike a good balance between grindy and actually useful.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread