I saw the Munky signal and came as soon as I could... (Gaming)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, October 30, 2017, 11:11 (2371 days ago) @ Ragashingo
edited by Korny, Monday, October 30, 2017, 11:47

As some might have noticed, I’m multi platform now. That mean learning some things. The thing I wish to learn about today is the Share button, it’s uses, it’s options, what similarities and differences it has to the Xbone’s feature set. I tried asking my normal gaming group and they barely responded. In their defense, I asked the following questions in the most broken, inconsistent, half teasing way possible. So, not really their fault. :p

Anyway, some specific questions:

1. When I recorded this clip of Chloe Price vs Robo-Dino-Utopia I initially got a 14ish minute clip that I had to trim down. Is that the way thing are done? Or is there some option to only record the last X minutes? My Xbone is set for the last 45 seconds, for instance with the option to grab up to the last five minutes. Anything similar on PS4?

You can choose how long you want it to record. By default, it records the last 15, though you can increase/decrease it by clicking the Share button, then going down to the Settings and Clip settings.

I leave it at 15-minutes (in case multiplayer Matches in Destiny go on too long, or I forget to save a clip and need a solid window), and between loading screens I go to name the clip so I remember why I saved it (Press the Options button on the controller when hovering over the clip in the Capture Gallery, then "Clip Information").

2. What if I want to record something that is about to happen? How do I do that?

By default, you double-click the Share button to start a new recording (You'll hear a *Ding*). It will stop recording when you single-click the Share button again, or when it hits the designated limit (15 minutes by default). You'll hear another ding, and it will go back to capturing the last 15 minutes like normal.

3. What are the various ways to get screenshots and video off? I can upload directly to YouTube and the clips seem to be in the gallery. What if I want to get a video onto my iPad? For Xbone, I can upload to Microsoft’s OneDrive then download it to iOS’ photo library. How can I do something similar on PS4? What about uploading to Dropbox?

You can transfer the videos and clips directly to a flash drive (plug it in, then click Options when in a Capture folder to pick the clips that you want to move), but I don't think there's a way to upload them to a cloud service

4. What else should I know about my PS4? I’ve mainly just been playing games. Are there cool things I should know? Or settings I should change for better-ness?

In the Share settings, you can change the screenshots to save as PNG rather than JPEG (the default)
Also, make sure you check the Power Settings, so you can have it charging devices all the time (it has a three-hour timer by default IIRC)
And be sure to go through the Settings very thoroughly, since there are a few neat features that are off by default.

And for the love of all that is holy, be sure to select "Always share voice" in the Party settings!

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread