“SHARE” (Gaming)

by cheapLEY @, Monday, October 30, 2017, 17:22 (2370 days ago) @ Cody Miller

On a related note—you were right. I started MGS V and wanted to pull my hair out almost immediately. It’s a shame, I’ll never experience what that game actually is.

Can you elaborate? While I found the story lacking, the number of options and depth in the mechanics was absolutely awesome.

I wouldn't know--I didn't get that far. The opening is so painfully long and slow, especially for someone like me who isn't already deep into the MGS story. It has to be the worst opening for a video game maybe ever, right up there with The Order.

It's one of the few things I look at as nearly unforgivable in video games--making character movement unresponsive, slow, and painful. I hate the walking and talking sections in Gears of War games, but by the time I get to one of those, I've at least played the game and know what the game is actually like.

Both MGS V and The Order go as far as to start their games with overly long segments where the player character moves frustratingly slowly, and I just can't stand it. Nothing in video games gets me more frustrated. If it's far enough into the game, I can get through it, but if you're going to open the game in that manner, I'm just done. I don't have the time to deal with that bullshit, and honestly, in the case of MGS V, I know I'm missing out on what's widely regarded as a brilliant game, but I'm too spiteful to forgive such a shitty, player unfriendly opening.

Here's the thread I started about this exact topic in regards to The Order 1886.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread