A pet peeve of mine (Destiny)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, April 25, 2018, 11:47 (2216 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Bungie, please... stop teasing us by showing guardians doing awesome things in trailers if we aren’t going to be able to do it in-game. Zavala’s backstory piece was cool and all, but all I could think while watching it was “combat in Destiny is nothing like this”. Now we’ve got a guardian doing a spinning split kick and using her knife to climb an ice wall.

At best, it breaks any immersion do to the sheer contrast with actual gameplay. Worst case scenario, it kinda borders on false advertising.

I don't share the specifics, but I do share the sentiment somewhat. For me the issue isn't that it shows things you can't do. The issue is that the world feels more real and alive in the marketing than it does in the game.

I think you've making a valid point. Whatever the differences between what actions are shown in the cutscene and what are possible in gameplay, those differences seem less important when the worlds presented seem to be the same.

Cutscenes have almost always shown things that weren't feasible in gameplay. What I've disliked more is when games use cutscenes for sequences that could have been gameplay (343 has been guilty of this).

Speaking to your point about the game feeling alive and real, Cody, I think there are people here like Xenos and Raga who have absorbed the lore to such an extent that, for them, the experience in the game world is substantially more alive and real than it is for others. They're more imaginatively engaged.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread