Relevent Observation. (Destiny)

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Friday, April 27, 2018, 19:59 (2213 days ago) @ narcogen

Bungie, please... stop teasing us by showing guardians doing awesome things in trailers if we aren’t going to be able to do it in-game. Zavala’s backstory piece was cool and all, but all I could think while watching it was “combat in Destiny is nothing like this”. Now we’ve got a guardian doing a spinning split kick and using her knife to climb an ice wall.

At best, it breaks any immersion do to the sheer contrast with actual gameplay. Worst case scenario, it kinda borders on false advertising.

Hear, hear.

----------------------------------------------------

Reading about the long canceled Human Head Studios version of Prey 2, I read something that felt relevant to this discussion. So here it is. Relevant sentence in bold.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Later in the project, we were told Prey 2 suddenly had a lot of quality issues. One of the ideas discussed was changing the beginning of the game. One had you start out at the plane crash site from the first Prey. Another one had you working with Tommy sabotaging a location before he appeared to sacrifice himself saving you.

One that I favored was getting the player in as quickly as possible without a series of tutorials. A bombastic James Bond opening. You play what you saw in Blur's Cinematic trailer made with Human Head’s direction. The video did a great job at introducing all the core mechanics. At the time it was a rare trailer showcasing what you could actually do in the game instead of a story cinematic.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread