Logging out for a bit. (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, April 25, 2018, 14:28 (2225 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Destiny is still fun. (For me.) If it's not fun for you, then sure, watching cool cutscenes that you KNOW aren't going to pan out the way they seem might be frustrating... but really, if you're so down on the game that the cutscenes make you angry, why are you even watching them?

I haven't seen anyone here voice the opinion that a cutscene makes them angry. I personally have said I find certain elements "annoying" or that they break my immersion. I don't know where this idea of anger is coming from.

This whole conversation is silly. There are people who in one breath say "this doesn't really bother me, it's a tiny pet peeve" and in the next breath (or dammit, even in the same sentence) say "Destiny's story is so disappointing that I expect NOTHING from it any more."

Well, fuck, if I felt that way, I'd walk away. Really.

Claude, you're skipping the part where I said "I play Destiny for the gameplay, the eye candy, and to have fun with friends". I do enjoy Destiny. A lot. There is a certain aspect of the game that doesn't do anything for me, and I voice that opinion. I don't crap on anyone who does enjoy that aspect.

So all this discussion is silly - either the disconnect between what you can see and what you can do is minor, in which case this thread has gone on about 10,000% longer than it has any right to, or you really are pissed at Bungie for the disappointments, in which case you probably shouldn't be here at all. (If you hate the narrative, then WAIT UNTIL THE NARRATIVE IS OUT BEFORE YOU JUDGE THE NEXT PIECE. You're making yourself (and everyone around you) angry about something you really don't know about yet.)

I'm pretty damned disappointed in this whole thread. Raga wants to enjoy what he saw, and even wants to explain to people WHY he enjoyed what he saw. And pretty much everyone else is shitting on him for it.

I need to lovingly and respectfully call BS on this point. Raga didn't start this particular line of discussion, I did. I expressed an opinion. Raga chose to jump in and share his disagreement with my opinion. It's been a voluntary back and forth the whole way down, and not once have I seen anyone "shitting on Raga" for his opinions or enjoying the things he enjoys.

This is exactly the sort of reaction that I have tried to point out in the past. Somebody makes an honest and respectful criticism, sharing their personal thoughts on something Destiny related, others disagree, but inevitably the discussion shifts over to what is "wrong" with the people making the criticisms. Even Raga's initial response to my post included the assertion that I'm not using my imagination the way I should be (ie, I am doing something wrong). Which is totally fair game, and I'm happy to have that discussion in a friendly and respectful way. What I take issue with is the assertion that Raga is somehow being piled up on or attacked for his views.

So honest question time:

What exactly about this thread is so aggravating? I don't see anyone being rude or disrespectful to each other. I see a range of opinions, both positive and negative and everywhere in between. I see good points being made all around. However, I do also see some defensiveness. I totally get that people like to be excited about things... I'm no different. But I'm also of the opinion that people should be able to disagree on things (especially things as superficial as what they like or dislike about a videogame) without getting all worked up about it. For crying out loud, all I did was say that I'm not a fan of this little trend that I see in some trailers, and I find it a little annoying. And because I never like to say anything critical without showing my reasoning, I went into my thoughts with some greater detail. Is that really all it takes to get people upset? Is DBO supposed to be some kind of "safe space" for fanboys who don't ever want to read anything they disagree with when it comes to this videogame?

Maybe the answer to that last question is "yes", and that's fine. If that's the case, I've just had the wrong idea about this forum. I want to believe that if that were the case, somebody would just step out and say it plainly, instead of accusing people who are sharing their thoughts about the game of shitting on another forum member. That's not cool, as I see it. We banged opposing ideas together. That's all.

Either way, I'm out <3

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread