Jeez, What A Mess. (Destiny)

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, September 02, 2018, 11:09 (2083 days ago) @ Morpheus
edited by cheapLEY, Sunday, September 02, 2018, 11:14

Motes being shared(or hogged) between teammates seems like a bad idea. I think it would operate better if motes spawned by kills appear only to the person that killed them, or assist-killed if it was a team effort. If a player can't get max motes because someone faster keeps bumping them away from them, only one player can contribute to the chaos, making it less fun for everyone else.

That sounds awful. Only being able to pick up motes you generate doesn't really solve the problem (if other players get way more kills, for instance), and it also means you can't strategize and designate two people to be mote runners while the other two just kill and run to where the next enemies will spawn.

Also, I've only played two games so far and I can already tell from experience—if you're not carrying a sniper or shotgun kinetic, you don't have a chance in hell. Considering how much ammo the PvE enemies drop, you're literally guaranteed infinite ammo for it. Jump in the portal, exterminate everyone from a distance(or up close), and you don't even have to reload.

Well, I didn't run either of those things that you feel are mandatory and did better than fine, so I'm not even really sure what you're talking about. Sure, the meta will get defined, but, just like in Crucible, there are always ways around it.

Speaking of Extermination, anyone with an Infinite Golden Gun or Infinite Instant Homing Gjallarhorning Hammer can jump in, activate it, destroy everyone instantly, and completely wreck the scoreboard, with little to no work. To be honest, so can a Stormcaller, but only if they're spawned in the same galaxy as the other team.

Again, those are issue I didn't experience. Our team easily defeated supered invaders multiple times by teamshooting. When you get invaded, stop whatever else you're doing and make that your focus. Coordinated teams can basically instantly destroy invaders.

Additionally, turning the whole screen red when an enemy invades is excessive. Plus, it nearly makes the red team(or more importantly the one invading) invisible when that happens.

I'll agree there. I don't know what the answer is--they need to make it obvious you've been invaded, but the screen effect is a bit much.

Honestly, it sounds like you played two games with randos with no real idea of what was happening or what to do, so you're just writing it off for not getting it and being great at it immediately.

I will say Bungie should be able to tutorialize it better. Getting popups at the bottom of the screen during a hectic game mode is maybe the worst idea for tutorials I've ever seen.

Ultimately, this mode is nice, but it's not impressive. It's also far too easy to exploit. It will take a little bit of convincing to buy Forsaken in the future, but as for Day one? Nuh-uh.

That's a bummer, I guess. Gambit is only one part of Forsaken, and, while I am tempering my expectations, it really does seem like it might be better for D2 than The Taken King was for D1.

EDIT: That's not to say Gambit is perfect. Far from it. The enemy spawns need to be random, for starters. It's not going to take long for players to have the spawn orders for every map and every round memorized, so that it's just going to be a race, rather than any sort of reacting to randomized events. I do worry about the variety and longevity of the mode. I can already seeing it ending up like Prison of Elders where you know exactly what is going to happen next with the minute variables not really mattering. I think the invasions are the only thing that are going to make you have to adjust strategies and reaction to pressure.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread