On the topic of the 5th Raid encounter (spoilers) (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, October 29, 2018, 13:25 (2013 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

I don't like this encounter. Not at all. But not due to anything mechanically wrong with it. I haven't even played it yet (yes, I know... hear me out). I'm sure that from a mechanical/teamwork/coordination point of view, its great.

Here's my problem with it. This is our first encounter with a Dragon in Destiny. A DRAGON. When I found out that we were finally going to be able to take our guardians up against a Dragon, my imagination took off will all kinds of amazing scenarios and set-pieces and images. What we actually got is... well... its not what fighting a freaking dragon in Destiny should be like.

I made some comments a while back about how I felt like the raid team was coming dangerously close to "jumping the shark". This encounter was the specific thing I was talking about, but I didn't want to say anything more because most of the DBO clan was staying blind on the whole thing. So I didn't want to get into it at the time. But now I can finally vent, lol.

The whole boss fight runs completely counter to the sort of thing I would hope for and expect, given the narrative situation we are in at that point. Why are we filtering into small rooms and calling out symbols and shooting weak points on a head or hand that pops into view from time to time, rather than battling a massive, flying creature that moves and dives and chases us around a grand, open environment? It's such a bummer to get all the way to the end of this raid and never feel like we've truly battled a dragon.

The final encounter actually reminds me a lot of the sort of thing you'd see in earlier videogames that were trying to convey struggles against foes that couldn't be properly created within the technology available at the time. Like the old Jurassic Park game on the Genesis, which boasted about featuring battles against the T-Rex, except they couldn't actually model and animate a whole T-Rex, so they just had it's head pop through the bushes at you from time to time.

Anyway, that's my very silly and self-inflicted problem with this encounter. I'll go back to my corner now :)

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread