TL;DR (Destiny)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Sunday, September 14, 2014, 16:31 (3520 days ago) @ Avateur

Why is this kind of thing acceptable in video games today?

It's not. It was absolutely brain dead when 343 Industries did it with Halo 4's Terminals only being accessible outside of the game, and it's even more brain dead when Bungie releases a game with hardly any real narrative or substantive story but expects the player to go entirely outside of the game console to read what amounts to a huge dump of info to get the back story or any real details on anything going on in the universe. It's absolutely pathetic.

Mass Effect is a prime example of how you can have plenty of reading material while making it accessible in-game, and it only helps to further enhance what's already happening. Granted, Mass Effect actually had an actual real coherent story taking place within the gameplay itself, which Destiny does not have.

But you don't have friends in your Mass Effect lobby talking to you while you're digesting the Codex. I think that's why the Grimoire cares are not in-game. The real issue is the minimal story in the game, which is not what we've come to expect.

You can dislike the choices they made, but I think your rhetoric is over the top. And, as I said in the other thread, it wasn't 343's choice--the videos weren't included at least at first because of development constraints. Maybe that's the case with Bungie. We don't know.

There's a long history of out-of-game game content, and Grimoire cards, from what I've read of them, seem like they are part of that tradition. Again, the issue is we're starving for narrative in the game.

And one more time, I think there's something dumb about having your character walk up to a screen in-game to unlock something, so that you can watch a movie on another screen later. Our characters don't actually find Grimoire cards in the game world.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread