I Never Did the Terminals (Destiny)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Sunday, September 14, 2014, 20:06 (3519 days ago) @ Jillybean

It's not 'telling' as in 'reading' it's 'telling' as 'here is the piece of information that relates to your understanding of this story right here, without interpretation, and without it the story is not only less complete but less interesting'

Terminals told a second, related story as an extra. Do you really think Destiny's story can stand alone without the grimoire telling you what it all means?

So far, no. I'm not finished. I'm thinking/hoping it's more like a prelude that will be built upon with some regularity, but much is assumed about what we know. I'd rather they err on the side of too little exposition than too much, but I'm definitely having trouble keeping up.

I keyed into your saying terminals and cards violated "show, don't tell." If they provide supplemental info that builds the world, they can be a quite effective way of adding richness to the story, and do so in a creative way that isn't just exposition. (This topic also pushes my buttons re: 343's abandonment of text terminals--I'd want to say to them: evoke, don't show, i.e., don't make a expository-heavy cutscene that wouldn't exist in this fictional terminal.)

I think what you're getting at is what many others have said, which is that there isn't enough story in the game. If they didn't feel as necessary, I think we'd think the cards were cool.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread