Halo 4 felt similar (Destiny)

by Hyokin, New York, Monday, September 15, 2014, 10:49 (3519 days ago) @ Jordan117

The fact that a significant part of the late-game plot was based on non-game materials like the Librarian/Didactic dialogue and the increasingly complex Forerunner novels rendered key cutscenes incredibly confusing. Why is the Didact an evil monster? Why is this ghost angel talking to Master Chief? Wait, she... sped up his evolution? How? Why? WHAT IS GOING ON I NEED AN ADULT.

At least when prior Halo games referenced background lore, they stuck to fun atmospheric easter eggs, like Cortana echoing Halsey's memories towards the end of the Cortana level in Halo 3. But making it required reading for understanding the core storyline is just like you said -- homework.

I was just thinking this... Having not had a chance to read any of the recent books or anything, I only knew that the Didact and Librarian were mentioned in the Halo 3 terminals. Other than that, I had no idea who they were and what their motivations were for their actions.

Like Jilly said, I had to go out of the game to Waypoint to even watch the Terminals and see who they were. It was homework and should've been conveyed in the main story, not hidden...

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread