I'll try and explain some more... (Destiny)

by RC ⌂, UK, Tuesday, January 13, 2015, 16:08 (3400 days ago) @ digital_ronin
edited by RC, Tuesday, January 13, 2015, 16:12

I like the idea of class specific quests, but the real problem is that anything that is class specific means you need three of the same class to maximize your returns.

Untrue.

This is similar to how Eris' Class-specific Bounties already work (+1 for precedent). Some days she will have a Hunter one, another day it'll be Titan, and then some days it's Warlock. On any given day (Tuesday!), you would need three of the same class to maximise XP/Rep returns - that is true.

BUT - and this is a critical but - over the long run it doesn't matter which class you chose. (temporary RNG weirdness excepted)

Or instead of the lock-out being account level, rewards from Mentor bounties - or quests! - could be limited in a certain range each week. Precedent is Iron Banner and Eris' Urn Quest - once you had filled that Urn up, if you do it again with the same class you're getting a near duplicate. The second Gauntlet awarded would still have the same bonus stats, but slightly different numbers, and only 1 perk would be different. Very little incentive. Just like there is no point re-running Iron Banner with the same class in the same week since the rewards are the same.

Introducing 3 armour upgrade items that are rewarded unequally to the different classes would be changing how armour works. More radically than changing Ascendants to Raidiant Shards. I'll try and break down how this would play out:

If armour requires an equal amount of all these materials/items to be upgraded, then the limiter on progress is whichever material you have the least of. With this particular ratio, a player with 3 different classes would be able to upgrade their armour fully TWICE as fast as another with 3 of the same class.

More extreme ratios would tip the balance further in favour of multi-classing. For example:

With that ratio, once a player has a full set of armour for 1 class, they could upgrade it more than 3x as quickly by 3-classing. And a 3-classer could upgrade twice as fast as a 2-classer.

This idea could be tied into the 'class-specific-chests' idea, too. i.e. chests that a Hunter can access have rewards that skew towards Sapphire Shards.

Acquiring armour in the first place is a problem that I'm not attempting to address here. I agree that the Class-specific armour materials are a roadblock to starting a new class.

But do you get what I'm saying otherwise?

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread