Or they are a tech company (Destiny)

by Earendil, Friday, January 30, 2015, 10:17 (3346 days ago) @ Xenos

Pie-in-the-sky demos are fun and all, but one of the things I do enjoy about Apple is that when they finally decide to talk about a product, I know it'll be something I could realistically buy, and buy soon. Really unlike most other tech companies that talk about delivering something, but have no ship date and no price, which usually mean the project will die in the next 12 months when they figure out they can't make it cheap enough or fast enough.

That method of "announcing" things has really killed most of my excitement for any announcement from Microsoft or Google. If your product demo requires you to hire CGI artists to show off what the engineers haven't finished yet, you've failed. That's like advertising a video game with action sequences and having that asterisk at the bottom that reads "not actual game play".

I have no doubt R&D departments have done absolutely amazing things. The real hurdle is designing it in a way that it can be mass produced for a reasonable price, and have the reliability not suck.

[/accidental friday rant]

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread