Question for the coder types regarding custom games. (Destiny)

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Monday, February 09, 2015, 13:02 (3383 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

I think it's a matter of priorities. Custom game types were lower on their priority lists because (while Destiny has the Crucible) Destiny is designed as a game where everything you do is part of the Universe. The Crucible is just one more way you train for taking on the PvE encounters so having custom Crucible games does not really fit into the Universe. Plus, if they allow custom games but shut down bounties then it messes with player progression. So they may need to think about how to accommodate that.

I wish they would at least take the simplest route of allowing us to just run regular Crucible matchmaking with two fireteams of six each and just disable bounty collection in that case. Maybe have Lord Shaxx decide to open up "practice" sessions or something. The rules would still be normal Crucible rules but now you can control who you are playing with. Perhaps later on they could come up with special bounties for this mode that would mitigate the progression problem.

Sometime before release Bungie said something like: custom games are not a shipping feature but Destiny is meant to be a back and forth between the developer and the players and if there's enough demand...

Don't know where to begin to try and find the source... but it's in my head, so you should all take it as empirical evidence.

So yeah, it wasn't a priority, but I don't think it's out of the ballpark.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread