Cross platform issues? (Destiny)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Tuesday, February 10, 2015, 12:54 (3382 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

Right, but where Halo had two different networking models I kinda have a suspicion that Destiny only has one.

In Halo having the host drop or having host status swapped to a different player in a multiplayer game was somewhat frequent. You would get hit with the black screen and scoreboard, basically a way to pause a game world filled with humans the system has no control over while a new host was being worked out. That doesn't really happen in the Crucible. At worst, a few players can't respawn for a few seconds, probably while their games are reconnecting after someone joins or drops, but other players keep playing just fine. If it were the old Halo model both the players waiting to respawn and the players who were still alive would see some kind of massive disruption but I've seen the other team stuck not respawning while I'm free to smoothly run around and shoot which ever enemy Guardians are left...

It kinda makes sense. Destiny is always matchmaking in the background unless you're playing a mode where matchmaking is disabled. And which mode is that? Even Nightfall Strikes and the Vault of Glass matchmake people into the open world until you get to a instanced off area. My guess is that a Crucible match isn't so different than Patrol behind the scenes. In both cases I think Bungie's servers are acting as the host instead of any individual player. So, if I'm right, and if this new network model affected the ability to do saved replays in single player it would have the same effect on multiplayer.

Or who knows? It might not be the networking at all and instead be limitations of RAM or CPU or development time. I just think it's a fascinating thing to speculate about. :)

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread