Continuity (Destiny)

by ckamp, Monday, February 09, 2015, 15:23 (3383 days ago) @ Ragashingo

It seems that this might be trivial, but it came to my mind as something they may have considered...

Part of the fun of custom games in Halo was creating unique gametypes with special characteristics. Halo was a game that had default weapons. Master Chief could pick up any weapon and use it as a disposable tool. You could customize your loadout in Reach, but that was still from a list of default weapons. A shotgun was a shotgun was a shotgun. You could make a shotty-sniper gametype. Petetheduck would make amazing metagames off of that level of choice.

People have come to expect that from Bungie's custom menus.

With Destiny however, they have stated that they want you to have a relationship with your guns. You can customize them so that they feel right for you. If you were loaded into a game with a crappy pulse rifle using perks you hate, that would be off-putting. They have talked about giving users a continuous experience and this runs against that.

Now, I know what you're saying:"Why don't they just let you keep your guns but still allow custom matchmaking?"

That is a good question. I think it may have to do with consumer expectations and the idea that Bungie wants to have features live up to their legacy when they roll them out. Rather than release halo 1.5 with matchmaking, they put their energy into Halo 2. My gut says that they want to add the feature, but they want to do it in such a way that it will work with all of the crazy permutations people would want from bungie's custom menus. I think it was too much for them this time around and they're still figuring out a way to make it work smoothly.

I could be totally wrong about this, but my sense is that this is probably one of the hurdles.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread