An UPnP router works wonder, as long as you reset it (Destiny)

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Monday, February 09, 2015, 15:44 (3383 days ago) @ ZackDark

Not with what I was running. It wasn't the UPnP specifically that was failing, the XBone just wouldn't operate from behind that router under any circumstance. I tried port forwarding, etc. Even tried manually creating NAT rules. It did not work, period. There is no possible solution that I didn't already try.

I had persistent problems with joining games and XBL parties. Specifically, I could not host anything - I could join, as long as someone else in the group had what their XBone considered to be "open" NAT. This was a major problem because the one person I tended to play Forza with a lot had a router which constantly needed rebooted in order to be "open." It would work immediately after a reboot, but I few days later we'd try to connect and it wouldn't work. I was actually the one with the more severe problem, but the solution was always for him to reboot his router (since at least he could temporarily recover). Very frustrating for him.

None of this would have bothered me much if it weren't for the fact that my 360 worked fine with that router for years. And not just acceptably well, PERFECT. It used to be that any time anyone had trouble joining a game or initiating chat, the solution was always to have me host. I was very proud of the fact that 360 stuff ALWAYS worked if I hosted. And in 5 years of running that PFSense firewall with my 360, it needed rebooted exactly ZERO times. Not just with respect to the 360 - the whole time I ran that box, it never once had ANY issues, until the XBone arrived.

Well, that went on longer than I'd intended, but this particular problem really irritates me.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread