Patrol Potential (Destiny)

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Sunday, April 05, 2015, 23:19 (3311 days ago) @ bluerunner

They already have elements in place that when combined would make an awesome addition to patrol: firefight. With the Eris quest we have enemies in the patrol areas that spawn waves of enemies when you kill that particular bad guy. We also have increasingly difficult waves of enemies in public events. Now they just need to combine those in a never ending firefight mode.

When you enter each patrol area, there could be an enemy hiding in an out of the way corner. If you kill it, you start the event. The first wave is easy, but every wave gets increasingly harder. There could be a timer for each wave. If you clear that wave before the timer runs out, a new wave spawns. If not, then the event ends. The waves go up in level, so eventually there would be waves that were unbeatable, but you could come back with each expansion and take down more waves.

These kinds of ideas are missing from Destiny at the moment; I agree.

I would like some Patrol missions to link together and tell a little story, if possible. An evolution of the way exotic bounties try to. But having some mission-specific audio or the occasional scripted event (or even some steps could manifest as a public event). Rewards would be legendary-level upgrade materials, like standalone public events are now. It would also be a prime lore-developing opportunity. I'd like to see the personalities in the tower interact in dialog, and even compete with each other for the fruits of the various stages of such a bounty. All the nuts and bolts are there, I think it's simply a matter of building a sort of RNG-chosen adventure chaining system, if you will. A lot of birds could be hit with very few stones that way.

~m

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread