Patrol Potential (Destiny)

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Tuesday, April 07, 2015, 12:50 (3309 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

[snip]

The moral of my little story: I think Patrol mode could be greatly improved even without adding anything to it. We just need MORE of what's already there. More public events, more patrol missions, more bounties that lend themselves to patrol mode.

I both agree and disagree. Part of the interest such combinations of events create is their relative rarity. If anything, Minions of Crota happens too often and too regularly. Rare occurrences like this are supposed to be rare-- that is what makes them interesting. It is, I think, a bit foolish to fall into the idea that just "more" of that would be better. The scenario you described was interesting because it doesn't happen all the time. If it started to happen more often it would become routine, commonplace, and uninteresting.

Patrols could use a refresh, or a bit more variety, but it's supposed to be the least dense activity-- it is that way on purpose.

I agree with the spirit of what you're saying, but as it stands right now Patrol mode is mostly "nothing" happening. After 565 hours, this situation has happened exactly 1 time. Yes, some things should remain rare in order to make them feel special, but most of what happens is too simple/uneventful to justify its rarity. I think we are so far to one side of the spectrum that simply adding "more" of everything actually would be an improvement.

I agree here. But I think a better solution might be to structure patrol missions so that they can branch and "link" to differing objectives. It would be nice if some of these, when chained long enough (either randomly or according to a specific recipe) one would receive a rarer objective/public event/award. Even something as simple as triggering a megabattle.

It would add a bit of focus to Patrol, with a growing level of investment over time, and a proportionate payout.

~m

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread