Me either, and I played a little. (Gaming)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, December 11, 2015, 03:22 (3068 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I dunno. Playing a game for such a short amount of time, and passing judgement on that is a pretty lame thing to do. I try to play a game as long as I can before I decide for sure that I don't like it, since you have to get used to the game, and the ways in which it differs from your comfort zones. Especially in this day and age of progression systems, where games take a while to pick up and open up for players.

I actually pretty strongly disagree with this. I get where you're coming from, and I don't disagree that it's possible to miss out on great experiences by giving up too soon, but I have neither the time nor the inclination to give games extended periods to hook me.

That's really unfortunate, but it's a reality for many folks.

If it takes thirty minutes or more for your game to become fun, you designed it wrong.

No, it's about pacing, and not overwhelming the player.
The "big reveal" in Bioshock? It's at the halfway point of the game. The story doesn't center around it.
The Last of Us? It's two hours into the game before you see your first Clicker.
Mass Effect, Gone Home, Borderlands, Tomb Raider, Journey, Shadow of the Colossus; all landmark games, many of them masterpieces, and all of them have very slow starts.
Heck, the fantastic Assassin's Creed 2 starts you out as a baby, and takes a while before you see your first wrist-blade (Abstergo escape notwithstanding).
Imagine if you hopped into a game, and they threw all of the freedom, mechanics, and complexities at you the minute you hit the ground? Warframe did that, and people complained about its ridiculously steep learning curve (they have since added an extended tutorial quest). Developers just can't win.

So if a game takes thirty minutes or more to open up, then the developer is doing something neither unwise, nor wise. It all comes down to each player, but the majority need to be eased into a game.

It's like when I tried to watch Breaking Bad and found it incredibly boring. Everyone told me, "Oh but it really gets good in season 2!" Screw that. I'm not giving a show an entire season to catch my interest.

And you seriously missed out. Breaking Bad is one of those few shows that only got better and better, and ended on its own terms with a very satisfying conclusion.

I think it's unfair to ask developers (and showrunners) to cater to the give-me-now audience. They have Michael Bay movies for that (not that I'm limping you into that category of consumer). Sometimes things take time. Others, like Gears of War and Call of Duty, throw you into the fray faster, but good storytelling takes time, and good games sometimes need to establish the world that you're in before unleashing you into it.

Granted, I do try to give games a bit of time to teach me its systems, but seriously, an hour tops. If I find absolutely no enjoyment in an hour, it's not worth it.

And that's fair. If an hour in the game's mechanics haven't developed, or the story hasn't started going somewhere, it's fine to step away. We don't all have time to let things grow on us, but because of that, we often miss out on greatness.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread