Female Leads (Gaming)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, January 06, 2016, 18:22 (3041 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I'm wondering if we are going to be coming up on a time when female leads are going to become prevalent, acceptable, and commercially successful in games. Life is Strange left a ripple in the industry, and coming up we have ReCore, Detroit, Mirror's Edge 2, Adrift, and probably more. The new Star Wars gave us a female lead character. The often used line is that games with male leads sell better and are more easily marketed. Is this even true still?

It would actually be very interesting if the games industry got to a decent parity more quickly than Hollywood… and I'm starting to think that might actually happen.

I'm currently replaying Beyond Two Souls on PS4, which also has a female lead. As an aside, anybody want to get the co-op trophy wth me? :-p

Of the games I played in 2015, I think all had either female leads, or gave you the choice of which gender to play, or at least had females in strong important secondary positions. We're also apparently at the point where games gets criticism if they don't have female characters like Assassin's Creed did a couple of titles back.

So, prevalent? Check. Acceptable? Check. Commercially Successful? Check.

I think we're there already! :)

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread