VR has failed (Gaming)

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Wednesday, January 06, 2016, 23:44 (3041 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I saw today that the Oculus will be $600.

VR will now officially never take off in the near future.

Having sampled VR before I can safely say that it is unsuitable in its current form for gaming, except in very specific (racing games, RTS) circumstances. People will buy it, and they will be disappointed. I was disappointed and I used it for free!

I didn't realize how much I missed that old Cody Miller pessimism, it's like someone not looking and running into a low doorway...

I recently spoke with a friend who gave up a great job to work full time in developing VR movies. I told him he just made the biggest mistake of his life. VR movies, unlike games, have no positive qualities at all.

then I got to this part and found I don't miss the old Cody Miller absolutism or the old Cody Miller "my unusual and unexplained opinions are totally relevant to how things work and how people act" attitude.

High Wire will have a very difficult time with their game being VR only, let alone making it be better than a non-VR version. It's certainly possible, but nobody is going to play it. When I joked that VR Gran Turismo is needed to get VR off the ground… that's actually kind of not a joke anymore. That's literally the only way you are going to get these headsets into the hands of millions and have something quality to play on them.

Why aren't all TV shows shot in 3D and shown on 3D TVs in every household? Same reason VR will never take off. Even though both are awesome.

Also you're mixing up 3D viewing and virtual reality, at least in some parts of the post. You're slipping, man. See you in another few months probably.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread