VR has failed (Gaming)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, January 07, 2016, 02:36 (3041 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY
edited by Cody Miller, Thursday, January 07, 2016, 02:40

I wouldn't write off VR in general just yet. It's too early to complain about the lack of interesting games. VR brings a major set of new challenges and new possibilities for Devs to figure out. There are obvious cases for VR (racing or flight games, anything cockpit-based) but give creative people time and they will do amazing things with new technology. Early hands-on impressions of Golum sound very interesting... like Highwire has taken a big step in figuring out ways to control a character in VR without walking all over your living room.

Just like motion controls, current VR tech has fundamental limitations. Motion controls and touch screens still have not become commonplace in complex, mainstream AAA games, even though there are "lots of possibilities there". You can control a character with motion controls… but is it really necessary or optimal? So while you CAN control a character in VR, is it really the best way to?

Whenever people pull the 'wait and see' or 'give it time' card it is never a good sign. Did anybody say that when Nintendo put an analog stick on a controller? No because it was instantly apparent why that was cool. Now all controllers have them. Did anybody say that when Wolfenstien 3D came out? No because it was instantly apparent that FPS was awesome. And now it's one of the biggest genres.

These things got better, but when they came out nobody had to make excuses. Dev kits have been out for a really long time. We should have a killer app / know what works by now. In my opinion, the tech is only there for a very narrow niche of games. In three or 4 years time, I think that will be the common view as well!

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread