Healthy fun is something to admire

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Saturday, June 15, 2013, 22:07 (3975 days ago) @ spooky6

When I was a WoW player I would come across true Role Players. For those that don't know, in WoW people will play their persona and they seemed to be having a blast. That said, would anyone enjoy the guilty pleasure of playing pretend from time to time? Could it be a better way to be immersed in the world or do you think you would be shunned by those who simply did not understand your life choice?

The best part of video games is the anonymity one can enjoy. You can be whomever you please and nobody can know otherwise. Role playing in a video game is an amazing level of immersion someone can get out of a $60 game. Anyone who forgets or tries to hinder such behavior is forgetting what interactive storytelling and all forms of media is all about: FUN!

Going further into discussion, role playing or any form of personalization in video games is extremely helpful for people on a spiritual level. Many know that they'll never be an Astronaut, a Marine, a heroic leader or even live as the gender they desire to be or openly love who they wish. Video games offer the the ability to do so - to live out their dreams. Alternatively, some just want to have a richer experience out of the universe they hold so dear. The developers offer a canvas to do so, but they leave the painting up to you. I know that my life has certainly changed because of the innocent child-like dreams I had playing games as a kid. I know that I was given the short stick growing up, that I was playing solo Legendary with all skulls on. Having the ability to role play as who I wanted in a video game let me know who I wanted to become.

Anyone harassing a person for having fun is a soulless bully.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread