Role playing in the RPG..

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, June 16, 2013, 18:23 (3974 days ago) @ Jillybean

Specific examples of roleplaying improving empathic skills usually focus on race relationsor gender biases.

It's theorised that by taking action, instead of passively absorbing the media, the 'lessons' are more quickly/more ardently learned.

I watched Next Gen with my father growing up, and after most episodes he'd sit me down and ask me about the ethical issue or philosophical dilemma in the episode.

"So, do you think Picard / Data / Worf / whoever made the right decision? Why? What would you have done?"

I never had to pretend to be any of those characters, just place myself in his shoes. To me that is very different, and a little more valuable than taking on a new persona and way of thought, whose moral values may be different than your own.

I cannot read those papers because they are behind a paywall, so reading all three would cost 75 bucks. Can you email them to me or just recount the hypothesis, procedure, data, and conclusion? Thanks.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread