Healthy fun is something to admire

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, June 16, 2013, 13:31 (3975 days ago) @ Jillybean

I have so many problems whenever I try to play 'renegade' or whatever. Whenever I'm playing a character who has choices, and I'm in any way attached to the character, they end up acting along my moral compass.

Why? I'm very curious, because moral choice in games for me seems like a stupid thing, since moral choices in games aren't really moral choices at all.

A real moral choice is something which you need to decide based on MORALS - a sense of right and wrong that's outside of you. A moral choice in a video game is based on WHAT DO I WANT TO SEE HAPPEN NEXT. In a way it's the anti-moral choice, since it's necessarily a selfish choice. A real moral choice could have you doing something that hurts you, but is the right thing to do. Also, there's the fact that there's really nothing moral about lights on a screen, so being a dick as your character doesn't make you a bad person.

Before I gave up playing Walking Dead because it was horrendous, I was pretty much a dick to all the characters in the game because that was super fun.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread