Oxenfree. (Gaming)

by cheapLEY @, Saturday, January 16, 2016, 21:05 (3031 days ago)

I know we had some Life is Strange fans in here, so I figured I'd throw out a recommendation for Oxenfree.

I've only played for about two hours, so I can't definitively say it's great or worth playing or if the story pays off in the end. What I can say is that after two hours I'm absolutely enamored with everything about it. There's not much actual gameplay besides just walking around and exploring the island that you're on, but the writing is good (in that it reasonably depicts teenagers, much like Life is Strange did), and the atmosphere is just vaguely creepy and mysterious enough to really have me enthralled.

I suspect some are probably pretty tired of this sort of walk around, have conversations, don't really do anything style of game, but as someone who was only really introduced to them with Life is Strange (and then Tales from the Borderlands), I'm loving Oxenfree. It doesn't do anything groundbreaking, but so far it's been unique enough to seem new and different. Also, the conversation system presented here is pretty neat, I think. You have conversations while you're walking around, rather than stopping and being stuck in a conversation menu. You can interrupt the other characters. It all seems much more natural than in something like Life is Strange where the NPCs just stand around waiting an eternity for you to pick your dialogue.

I'll definitely post an update in this thread once I've finished it within the next couple of days.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread