You're coming to it from the wrong way. (Gaming)

by cheapLEY @, Friday, April 15, 2016, 15:52 (2945 days ago) @ Funkmon

Giant Bomb is a great example of the fact that, I think, in most cases, people will just watch anything with the dudes they like, and the game is mostly irrelevant.

That's actually exactly why I consume Giant Bomb content. I like the dudes, for the most part. My two favorite video series are only marginally about games (Mario Party Party and Unprofessional Fridays, in which they play random games for a few hours and tell dumb stories).

They're ostensibly a video game news and review and video site, but have just become about the people doing it and how much personality they can force into their articles or videos. It's extremely editorialized, and due to their ability to deliver humor, they can rely solely on that without preparation or effort much of the time, at the expense of alienating a viewer not in the know, or one who's seen the wrong video.

I don't know. I'd argue that most of their Quick Look videos are actually pretty good, and usually done by the person that seems to be most into and excited about the game they're playing. This Mirror's Edge video is actually a pretty terrible representation of what they normally put out, in my opinion. They just got the wrong dude to play it.

So, it's not about Mirror's Edge. It's about the guys playing it. Mirror's Edge is just a convenient excuse to make a video.

I, like you, would rather know about Mirror's Edge. Is there a better overview somewhere?

I'm sure there is. The Giant Bomb video was just the one I was watching, so it's the one I linked. Giant Bomb is definitely more about entertainment than information, and that's a large part of the reason I like them. I can get boring ass breakdowns of a game anywhere, but they're just that--boring. (Not that this Mirror's Edge video was entertaining, but as I've said, it's a bad representation of GB, I think).

Eh, different strokes for different folks and all that. I used to be the guy that would have been utterly confused as to why anyone would watch anything like what Giant Bomb puts out, but I've grown to really enjoy it over the last year or so.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread