Aaaaand I'm done with this "review" (Gaming)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, April 18, 2016, 16:33 (2942 days ago) @ Vortech

I agree with the reviewer missed the point of the game, but I sort of feel like the game did also. The first mirrors edge was basically a game where it taught you how to do things within its world and then the endgame was doing speed runs. I thought of it a lot like learning to play an instrument. If you have the patience and the dedication– And I did not –then you can do some virtuoso level stuff and feel really proud of it. For the plebeians like me sometimes you will get a brief glimpse of greatness through trying and good luck.

The open world game design works against this feeling, in my opinion. I know that I am a vocal opponent of open world gaming and this shows exactly the sort of problems that I have with it. He discovered a run and he got to the end and then if you wanted to try to better his time he had to traverse back to the starting line. What person who is working on improving that particular run wants to do that? Even if they paste in a "try again" button — destroying the verisimilitude that open world gamine are supposed to offer — who wants to schlep to the other starting line you are working on when you could just click a menu button?* I'm getting negative flashbacks from what happened to the burnout franchise.

* I assume the answer to my rhetorical questions is "people who like open world games, idiot."

I'm not convinced he knew what he was saying when he called it an open world game. I distrust much of what is said in this video.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread