Catalyst is a reboot. And some thoughts. (Gaming)

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, April 24, 2016, 23:46 (2935 days ago) @ Cody Miller

There is probably much more story this time around, since we get actual cutscenes. I am assuming this is a prequel given the circumstance the game starts in. No way to know until the full game drops.

I thought that was confirmed. Maybe not, maybe it was just rumor, but I feel like I've known that it's a prequel for quite a while now.

Actually, did some googling and came up with a bunch of stories, but this is the first one I clicked on. Mirror's Edge Catalyst is a full reboot. According the quotes, the first Mirror's Edge is basically wiped from the canon and Catalyst is a new beginning.

Edit: For the lazy, the game's design director said:

Mirror’s Edge: Catalyst is a reboot. We basically took the things we really liked about the first game. Faith, first and foremost, the first-person free-running gameplay, and also the aesthetics, which we’ve built on, of course. But it’s a reboot.

We’re telling Faith’s origin story, so the events of the first game actually don’t really exist. Maybe they will at one time in the future.

Anyway, on the to the game, just a few quick thoughts.

The game is gorgeous. After I downloaded it on Xbox One, a buddy of mine gave me an extra code for the PS4 version, which is the one I've played. I haven't fired up the Xbox One version, but I'm going to try and do it and see if there's any real noticeable difference, because I've read a few posts other places that say the Xbox One version is significantly worse. But this is the internet and people love to complain about tiny differences, so I'd like to see for myself.

The game controls like a dream. It's very fluid and satisfying.

Time will tell if it grows on me, but after about two hours, I'm still not sold on the open world design. It's not nearly as awful as I imagined, but I still don't necessarily like it right now. I feel like I spend more time lost and trying to figure out how to get to where I need to go, rather than looking for the best way through the obstacles. This will probably get better and easier as I play more in the full game and get more familiar with the city, but right now it sucks. Maybe I'm just dumb.

The missions seem good though, with cool environments. Hopefully we get some long missions throughout, in the style of the first Mirror's Edge. So far the ones I've done have been really short, but I've only done a few of them.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread