What the hell, seriously. (Gaming)

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Monday, April 25, 2016, 23:30 (2935 days ago) @ cheapLEY

There is probably much more story this time around, since we get actual cutscenes. I am assuming this is a prequel given the circumstance the game starts in. No way to know until the full game drops.

I thought that was confirmed. Maybe not, maybe it was just rumor, but I feel like I've known that it's a prequel for quite a while now.

Actually, did some googling and came up with a bunch of stories, but this is the first one I clicked on. Mirror's Edge Catalyst is a full reboot. According the quotes, the first Mirror's Edge is basically wiped from the canon and Catalyst is a new beginning.

Edit: For the lazy, the game's design director said:

Mirror’s Edge: Catalyst is a reboot. We basically took the things we really liked about the first game. Faith, first and foremost, the first-person free-running gameplay, and also the aesthetics, which we’ve built on, of course. But it’s a reboot.

We’re telling Faith’s origin story, so the events of the first game actually don’t really exist. Maybe they will at one time in the future.

Holy crap.

Why in blazes does a game franchise with a single entry need to be rebooted? Why would anyone rationally want to become a fan of a franchise that reboots itself after a single entry? This seems like the worst example of film industry envy we've seen yet, especially the origin story boner.

Here's the thing: the origin story of a character is something you care about AFTER you care about the character. A fan of Mirror's Edge who liked that game, and liked Faith, might wonder, "hey, I wonder what happened-- how did Faith become a runner, and how did this world she is in get the way it is?"

Of course, now the Faith you knew and the world she lived in and the events you witnessed with her are gone, replaced by a new world with some of the elements the devs liked, but none of that pesky continuity.

Unbefreakinglievable.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread