How are those headphones? (Destiny)

by cheapLEY @, Friday, June 10, 2016, 22:51 (2870 days ago) @ dogcow

I have a set of HD 280 Pros that I love, but they're worn out and due for replacement soon. I've been debating just getting another set since they're only $99 now, or if I should look at a higher end set.

http://headphones.specout.com/compare/356-357/Sennheiser-HD-598-vs-Sennheiser-HD280-Pro

I think it comes down to if you prefer open-air or a closed headphones.

280: 8-25kHz, 64Ω, 102dB sensitivity, closed
598: 12-38.5kHz, 50Ω, 112 dB sensitivity, open

They were a gift, if I were purchasing I would seriously consider those 280's. My previous pair of headphones (audio technica somethings) were a closed system and I definitely noticed a difference (not good, not bad, just different) when moving to these open-air phones.

I've honestly never even used an open-air set. I'm like you, in that I'm enough of an audiophile to want a good set of headphones, but I don't actually know all that much about the differences. All the numbers mean absolutely nothing to me. I'll probably follow Blackt1g3r's advice and just get another set of 280 Pros. I may look at a set of 380 Pros for the extra fifty bucks--I think they're just the upgraded version of the same set (?), but I'm not sure I'd really be able to tell the difference. I've heard good things from a buddy that upgraded to the 380s from the 280s. Hell, I don't know. I sure love my current set, though! Enough that I'm actually a bit frustrated at myself that I didn't think to look at Sennheiser when I picked up my Astros for gaming.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread