Wow, that was a great run. (DBO)

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, August 02, 2016, 00:05 (2796 days ago) @ stabbim

I played for a few hours last night. Started a new Clubman championship with the Group B Quattro. I absolutely love this car. It's crazy fast, but it's actually really well balanced and surprisingly easy to drive.

Something I came to realize through this game, which I'd sort of heard hinted at by the former drivers in interviews but hadn't really crystalized for me, is that those cars weren't necessarily hard to drive in the way that people think. It's not that they were too powerful and got away from the drivers. They're actually pretty smooth and controllable, it's just that there's very little time to think because they're moving so fast. Maybe too little for humans. Dirt Rally just made me realize how thin the line is between a good run and not quite reacting fast enough.

Yeah, that makes sense. I always got the impression that the Quattro wasn't necessarily hard to drive, it was just stupid fast.

I'm also looking forward to getting the Group A Subaru

It's been my favorite of the Group A cars. I'm a Subaru person anyway, but I really do think that one drives the best.

I just got it tonight. Holy crap. It's . . . perfect. What an incredible car to drive.

I just can't get into it (or get good at it, I guess). I hate the FWD cars--they're just no fun to drive.

On the normal rally side, the F2 kit cars are also FWD but I think they're super fun.

I'll keep that in mind, because I was honestly just planning on skipping those completely.

And, PS: I'm sure you've seen it, but, just in case (and in case anyone else here is interested in rally), here's a neat little documentary about Group B called Too Fast to Race. The followup, Still Too Fast to Race used to be on YouTube as well, but I can't find it anymore, just clips from it. ):

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread