Seconded (And some Summer PLAY discussion) (Gaming)

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, August 04, 2016, 17:24 (2825 days ago) @ Kahzgul

I've played about 40 minutes of Rebel Galaxy now. I'm really digging it so far. The tone seems perfect, the soundtrack is great, it's pretty to look at.

Like you, I was initially disappointed that everything is limited to one plane rather than full 3D, but I guess I can see why they went that route. Combat (so far) seems simplistic, but it's fun! Switching between broadsides to take on big ships and quickly switching to the turret to take down fighters and incoming missiles is a blast. I really like flying around and investigating distress signals. It seems like there's also a pretty robust economy with mining and different markets and prices in different sectors. Obviously I've nowhere near played enough to know, but judging by the "news" section in the space station, it looks like there are events happening in different sectors that may affect pricing of goods in different areas. I've never been one for playing the numbers game, but it looks like that option is there.

I definitely look forward to playing it more! But . . .

I also bought ABZU and am eager to dive into this evening. A lot of my gaming as switched over to focus on more low-key, low-stakes games like this, and it looks gorgeous. I've heard that maybe there's not quite enough "play" in the game (like, even less than Journey), but that sounds alright for me at the moment.

Also, one of the other upcoming Summer PLAY games, Bound, looks great. I mean, the trailer looks amazing, anyway. I'll be damned if it tells me much about what the game actually is, but it looks gorgeous. I can't wait to see what's up with it.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread