How do you mine? (Gaming)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, August 05, 2016, 19:05 (2824 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I haven't actually looked too hard as I've just been doing missions and bounties, but I didn't figure out a way. I thought maybe I had to buy mining equipment for my ship, but I didn't see any.

Rudimentary mining can be done as soon as you get a tractor beam. Find a cluster of space rocks (especially the blue oblong ones), send out a Pulse (Triangle, then left), then shoot away at the rocks that are marked as containing resources. Once they blow, you can pull the resource in.

You can invest in mining-specific gear and weapons, which produce much higher yields, and can eventually become pretty lucrative (and quick), but I'm saving up for a Barracuda (over halfway there!), so it's slow going for me (it's faster and cheaper just to buy them from Market until you've got a good mining setup going).

And keep an eye out for Unidentified Broadcasts. One pointed me to a mineral-rich asteroid field. Got there quick enough that only a single other ship was there mining up loot.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread