So... First Impressions? *Spoilers* (Destiny)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Tuesday, September 20, 2016, 14:25 (2827 days ago)

Yes, beyond the thrilling experience of queueing :p

I complete the main quest and just had enough time left in the morning to zip blindly around the Plaguelands with little clue of where I was or was going.

The missions themselves were pretty good

- I liked climbing Felwinter's peak not really knowing what I might find over the next crest. I figure the gondola might get pretty scary if we ever get the chance to do it with a burn on! The battle at the end wasn't overly hard but I was playing as a fully outfitted Defender, so very little ever is. :)

- I liked the mission where we had to go shut down the gun batteries. Making use of the larger Patrol areas for missions works pretty well and gives a nice sense of scale. Plus, having the SIVA Spider Tank drop in and being unsure of its attacks was a lot of fun. I was, however, slightly disappointed that I didn't get support from some Hawks dropping off an army of Frames... or even just getting shot down in classic Halo tradition... but nope, Saladin called them off. :(

- I really liked the last mission. It too had a nice sense of scale, I really loved that last big drop down to the replication chamber area. The final battle within the replication chamber could have been more. In a perfect world it could have been a fight against fully able AI Guardians... but given that Destiny's enemy AI system is more or less on par with Halo's, I'm glad we fought the abominations we did. We've seen from both Reach and Halo 5 that AI heroes never really perform to our expectations so I think what we did get was a fun fight that was a perfectly reasonable compromise. This mission was also one of the only "run away as bad things happen" that had me pumped. First time for that since maybe the Pillar of Autumn was getting ready to detonate. It was a short run and it felt like I'd done enough to justify the place going ballistic.

- I was pleased with the cut scenes. It's nice to have those back and it felt like we've finally got back to Halo levels of storytelling. My only minor complaint was that my Guardian never got to say one single word.

- Didn't have any real time to explore Felwinter's Peak social space... but it seemed nice...

- I'm liking the reward book and the clear goals and rewards that continue to build upon the story. I want my set of Iron Lord armor!

- And finally, I really like the feel and tone of the story in general. I think this is the first time that Destiny really hit upon that "Mythic Scifi" Bungie has been talking about. The missions, the voice overs, the cutscenes, the music. It all worked for me and I found myself thinking I'd love more of this.

What did you guys think?

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread