About the in-game writing... (Destiny)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, September 21, 2016, 14:40 (2826 days ago) @ Ragashingo

since we spent so much time prejudging it. Good writing can be made great by a great vocal performance (the same works in reverse, I'm sure). The voice of Saladin has always been effective as the voice of the Iron Banner, but I grew a bit weary of his somber pronouncements as the game wore on. It seemed like Shiro was set up as a foil, and I like that voice actor, but his voice is too similar to Saladin's for it to work as well as it might have. Contrast to Cayde's interactions with Eris or Petra and Variks. Probably unfair comparisons, but you get my drift. I really like Tyra Karn as a character.

Plotwise, I like the main questline story a lot--like others, I wish it had been a bit longer, but I'm glad it didn't have anything that felt like filler. Most of the missions made me feel like I was doing something new and I especially enjoyed the last one. Any disappointment about the length was offset by the knowledge that The Taken King ended up being much more substantive than I thought it would be with all the quests that unlocked and so far I like the things they are doing that are similar, like using a heretofore multiplayer space for a PVE mission.

Nits and bits I liked

Liked the "young wolf" stuff. It was endearing and the Iron Lords are probably the only characters who can talk about guardians that way.

There were times when it seemed that questions were being addressed to the guardian, but were answered by the ghost. Is "ghostsplaining" a thing? It almost made me long for the "no time to explain" cutscene, where guardians and ghosts at least had a negotiable relationship.

Some lines were fine as written but were delivered awkwardly. Some lines were just bad. "Puppeted" is not a word. Geez, guys. That kind of pissed me off that something that dumb made it in.

In b4 #so-and-sowasright.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread